Friday 2 May 2014

X11 Xinput XMODIFERS in CRiSP

Not sure why, but today I find that the X11 version of CRiSP gets
into a nasty infinite loop as soon as you type anything. I have
tracked it down to the "xim" - xinput mechanism for allowing non-english
languages to be typed at the keyboard.

I know this stuff is developed by people where English is not
their native language, but I couldnt believe how awful the XIM
mechanism has gotten on Ubuntu 14.04.

Firstly, /etc/X11/xinit/xinputrc has a language spelling error. I know
English is not the authors first language, but that lead me on to the
next issue.


$ env | grep -i bus
JOB=dbus
XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-wAGMmImK14
QT4_IM_MODULE=ibus
GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus


Somebody is being determined to turn on IM mode for X apps; but its
broken. I can turn this off - I was manually going to edit the xinputrc,
but Ubuntu has sprayed this all over the place. And although I can easily
turn it off, my users wont know what is at issue, and I will likely forget.

If I do


$ ps -lp 3594
F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN TTY TIME CMD
1 S 200 3594 3472 0 80 0 - 90021 poll_s ? 00:09:11 ibus-daemon
$ psg xim
fox 3594 3472 0 Apr20 ? 00:09:11 /usr/bin/ibus-daemon --daemonize --xim


Yet another space hog - for something I dont want.

So, I go to the KDE desktop to configure things. First I visit the
dialog to change the language (United Kingdom English, not American
English). Yea gods! About 1 minute of activity just to change the values
in the dialog - I have no idea what the dialog was doing, but I think
it popped out for a MacDonalds lunch - burger and chips - it was so
slow. But that didnt help.

Then I found the dialog in system settings to set the XInput mode - much
better - there I have an array of choices - all confusing, with really
bad english attempting to tell me what to do.

Now I have to implement a workaround for the bug in Ubuntu/X11/XIM and
I dont know by working around this, I will hurt something that has worked(?)
for 20y.



Post created by CRiSP v11.0.31a-b6726


No comments:

Post a Comment