Sunday 20 March 2011

DTrace release for 20110320

This release includes compile and run fixes for Linux 2.6.38 and
Fedora Core 14 (possibly 15 as well).

FC14 has a broken libelf.so implementation whereby the functions
elf_getshdrstrndx() and elf_getshstrndx() are mapped to the same code
but this is broken, since the only difference between them is the
return code for success. (I really detest these two functions - they
are almost impossible to read/parse since the names are so similar
and palindromic).

I have a couple of bug reports to note. On FC14, even when dtrace
is not running, there are some kernel GPFs caused by the hrtimer_interrupt
firing and doing a smp_call_function. It doesnt seem to harm the system.
(Nicely, the desktop shows an alarm since the kernel problem is detected).
Maybe FC14 has validation turned on for cross-cpu function calls.

I loaded up dtrace on 2.6.38 (outside of a VM) and it crashed the
system - so be careful/wary. (It might crash on 2.6.37 as well, but I cant
remember if I tested it).

I could do with modifying the build scripts to tell you which packages
are missing depending on the distro you are using, but its a fine balance
to expend the effort to work out whats needed from a virgin install.


Post created by CRiSP v10.0.3b-b5950


3 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,
    This is great news.
    I am keen to try out the new code,
    but unfortnately the domain name for
    your FTP site had been down for a least a week.

    ftp://crisp.dynalias.com/pub/release/website/dtrace

    Please can you fix this, or find an alternative way of making the code available.
    Best Regards
    Nigel Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    First of all thanks for porting.

    I am new to dtrace and want to play with it.

    When I try to download the latest release, I am getting following error:

    The request URL ftp://crisp.dyndns-server.com/pub/release/website/dtrace-20110330.tar.bz2 was not found on this server.


    Can you please check what's the issue?

    Thanks,
    Nitin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul,

    I am able to download the release.

    Thanks,
    Nitin.

    ReplyDelete