Sunday 20 June 2010

Fourier Transforms

I thought I would visit a topic I know very little about - Fourier
transforms. Theres a very nice tutorial on this subject here:


http://www.student.kuleuven.be/~m0216922/CG/fourier.html


It starts with a gentle introduction to what they are and how they
work, but, alas, quickly gets into integrals and complex numbers.
If your math is rusty and you want to brush up a little, take a browse.


Why am I looking at these? No reason - just want to improve an area
I am no good at. What am I going to do with them? Probably nothing.


My HP48 calculator can do transforms - so wondered if I should know
more than my calculator; Fourier transforms are the heart of many
video and audio encoding packages, so its worth understand the computation
power that todays tiny MP3/H.264 audio/video players have to contend with.

Post created by CRiSP v10.0.1b-b5859


No comments:

Post a Comment