Sunday 20 April 2014

Ubuntu 14.04 - some issues

Just upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 - going through the usual..."Oh dear" moments.

So far, I have had three issues. I note them here so
that google can help others (depending if I have solved them).



  • wlan0 issues - long ago had I given up on the Linux networking
    stack. Each and every release was broken. And this release is no different.
    What worked, stopped working. I have a startup script which does the things
    I need for each kernel I work on. I had the following line in my
    startup:

    wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf &

    After some searching, and stumbling, this seems to work.

    wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf &



  • I had to 'apt-get install kdm' to get my KDE desktop working. Took
    a few attempts to kill 'lightdm' and do a 'sudo kdm' to get back to work.



  • Hm. Now my UK keyboard is a US one. Go to the KDE System settings dialog and
    reconfigure the Keyboard settings (under Input devices).



  • Killed baloo_file - yet another indexer trying to eat the cycles on my machine.
    I want to rip out akonadi - simply appalling piece of software with
    no manpage describing what it does, or why KDE may crumble without it.



  • VirtualBox is broken .. again.

    Heres the failure in the log:


    /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:1539:26: error: 'struct mm_struct' has no member named 'numa_next_reset'
    pTask->mm->numa_next_reset = jiffies + 0x7fffffffffffffffUL;


    I may wait for someone else to officially fix this. Or I may just
    comment out the line (or do a kernel diff to see what happened to mm->numa_next_reset).


    A brief google, shows,
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/VirtualBox-4-3-4-Released-with-Support-for-Linux-Kernel-3-13-404808.shtml
    references a 4.3 upgrade for the 3.13 kernel. This is dated Nov 30th, yet
    Ubuntu ships 4.2. Bizarre.



  • Lets try compiling dtrace. "-liberty" has gone missing. A quick google
    lookup, and we use "-lbfd" instead. DTrace compiles fine now on Ubuntu 14.04.


  • Perl Net::SMTP::TLS has gone missing again. My scripts for grabbing email rely
    on this. So a quick "CPAN Net::SMTP::TLS" and we are good to go.





So, I think I am done for now.



Post created by CRiSP v11.0.30a-b6726


No comments:

Post a Comment