Saturday 30 June 2012

Being stupid. Utterly.

Been in the market for a 27" iMac. New imacs are just around
the corner (I hope/believe) but I dont need the top end or latest,
I just want value for money.

Monitoring prices on amazon.co.uk is interesting - prices go up and down
and resellers will often sell a "used" or "refurbished" item for more
than the "new" price. Very strange.

Out of boredom, I have been watching amazon.de, amazon.fr, and amazon.it.

Interesting watching the different prices and the different
used/reseller markets.

Bang! Spotted a bargain on amazon.it. A brand *new* 27" iMac
at better than my target price point. Placed the order. Feeling happy
with myself.

(I have tried to place orders with resellers on amazon, and so far,
for iMacs, none have been accepted; either these are scam artists or
Amazon is allowing multiple orders to be placed when the seller only
has a single unit).

So, I am feeling real proud of myself. (My Italian is very poor - but
enough to know what buttons to press!).

Then it dawned on me.

What *exactly* had I purchased? It sure wasnt a 27" iMac. It was the
21" model. Annoyingly, the layout of items on the different Amazon
stores is different and even the large/small pictures of iMacs are
used inconsistently. Every Amazon, except amazon.it, lists the screen
size in the description. Not amazon.it - you have to pore over
the technical description to see the telltale 1920x1080 screen resolution.

Oops! But I just placed the order? Panic !

Luckily - and I love Amazon for this - you can cancel an order, within about
30mins of placement. So, I did this. Being *very* careful to try and
understand what the screen phrases said (my Italian is not good enough
to handle the subtle language in this area).

Fortunately, translate.google.com was my friend. Very helpful
to paste key sentences and phrases into the translator and find I had
hit the right buttons.

So, there you have it. A total buffoon. Io sono stupido!

Post created by CRiSP v11.0.9a-b6431


No comments:

Post a Comment