Tuesday, 22 February 2011


I use CRiSP to read/compose mail..mostly. I also use gmail and my original
crisp mail account.

The beauty of CRiSPs mailer is that it is pure text mode, and woefully
unpowerful. This means that viruses are non-existant. I can see
them (as mime encoded data, or links to bogus websites), but they
cannot hurt me.

Most mailers these days utilise the browser plugin to render the page,
and hence, reading mail means you are exposed to the same bugs or flaws
that the browser can be impacted by. (Every image, video or javascript
in an email is being interpreted by a piece of code, e.g. ZLib, or PNG,
or GIF, and these libraries, alas, are the cause of many problems in
Windows, Linux or MacOSX). Its an arms-race to ensure core code
libraries are bug free.

Yet, for a long while now, attachments sent from CRiSP didnt work. They
use to; but they stopped working. I didnt know why - nor bother to look.

Now I have looked, and it wasnt CRiSPs fault. It is the complexity of
actually sending mail (via SMTP) in todays world. My original ISP forbids
emails from outside its own domain, in an attempt to stop spam. I
had to resort to emailing from their webmail page, which is a nuisance
and an overhead - mechanising the webmail page to send a message. And
I had forgotten about attachments. Had I remembered, I might
have added support, but gave up.

So I use
GMail. Utilising some bits of perl glue, I can map the output of
CRiSP email to gmail, and post. In many emails to myself over the
last day, I finally managed to get the mail headers correct to send
attachments. One of those "I must solve it" problems, is, now solved.

My next project in this area is to figure out how to write an android
app to mimic what CRiSP does (read raw text email, rather than be clever
to render). Theres just too much spam/rubbish in the world to worry
about the sanctity of my portable device(s).

Now...back to dtrace.

Post created by CRiSP v10.0.3b-b5941

No comments:

Post a Comment